We are a student organization at the Florida State University looking to redefine the way our local economy intersects with our environment – clean water, clean air, and clean food are all things we value highly.
This gracious and beautifully produced documentary has expertly captured the essence of Tallahassee Sustainability Group. Thank you!
Human civilization will always face great challenges as we collectively strive toward a healthy, peaceful, and free existence. Some of the challenges we face right now include excessive and wasteful consumption of natural resources, a distressing impact on our environment, hunger, poverty, conflict in our neighborhoods, and conflict abroad. Cause for alarm? Fear? Revolution? Eh, not so much. The Tallahassee Sustainable Group believes that it is all part of a long, drawn out process; humans will actively respond and react to these pressure points and work to make tomorrow better than today. So we could riot or start a militia – or we could become the change we want to see in the world and revolutionize ourselves. Are you upset with industrial agriculture? Its strain on our ecosystems, contribution to poor dietary health, its fragile dependence on cheap oil prices? Ok then, grow your own food and share it. Humans are legit advanced – we can make our ideas a reality! Let us share these ideas, information, technology, resources, and expertise with each other making it easier to achieve our goals of sustainability and survival. We will do great things, one day at a time. Remember what Theodore Roosevelt once said, “do what you can, with what you have, where you are.” O.K. Teddy, good words to live by – we will do just that!
Research, develop, and implement a sustainable framework for the Tallahassee community that will enhance its ecologic, economic, and cultural welfare.
A peaceful Tallahassee community that is also food secure, balanced with nature, and free.
Fortify community food security by producing our food where we consume it.
- Research (Learn)
- Sustainable methods of food production such as aqua/hydroponics, biointensive agriculture, and greenhouse production.
- Sustainable food systems and effective ways of making fresh, healthy food available to all
- Sustainable utilization of all resources (land, water, ‘energy’, nutrients, etc.)
- Produce (Grow)
- Fresh, healthy food in every field, vacant lot, abandoned building, rooftop, nook, and cranny available to us.
- Employment opportunities for community members.
- Access to resources and information for community members
- Supply/Teach (Share)
- Bread and Roses Cooperative grocery market with fresh produce
- Frenchtown Farmers Market with fresh produce
- Florida State University campus cafeterias with fresh produce
- Share information, technology, and expertise to community members to support autonomous food security.